What is the difference between a cheescake and a New York cheesecake?
In the very large family of white cheese cakes, cheesecake, vatrouchka or Käsekuche, I ask for the New York cheesecake. But what is the difference between all these cakes whose base remains the same, a fresh cheese, more or less salty, enriched or not with cream?
Well, it’s often the freshness of the said cheese or the addition of cream that makes the difference.
The vatrushka is like this original cake, which has traveled with migrants from Eastern Europe, including the Jewish community, taking with them this yeast dough and cream cheese recipe. Often garnished with raisins or candied fruit, the best I know in France is the Boutique Jaune Finkelsztajn in rue des Rosiers.
New York keto cheesecake recipe with strawberry coulis, sugar-free
Also cooked in Germany (and in Alsace at home), this Käsekuche (cheese cake) has become the cheesecake of Americans and the cheesecake of Quebecers.
The cheesecake has a biscuit base, either made from crushed cookies or made from a shortbread dough, covered with an appliance of cream cheese and eggs. The difference between New York cheesecake and classic cheesecake is its richness in cream. Not only do we use fresh cream cheese (now the famous Philadelphia), but we also enrich the appliance with heavy cream, the one that has fermented, in other words in English, sour cream.
Then, the device is often flavored with lemon zest and / or vanilla, depending on the mood, and always accompanied by a coulis or covered with red fruit jelly.
Tips for a light New York keto cheesecake
A light and creamy texture at the same time, like a magic cake.
Conventionally, a New York cheesecake, given the fat content, is a fairly dense and chewy cake. I wanted to give it a little lightness. For that, I incorporated, not the whole eggs, but the yolks, then beat the whites until stiff before adding them.
This gives a sensation of both mousse and at the same time of creamy flan, less thick and dense than the New York cheesecake. And it’s delicious.
Do you remember the popularity of magic cakes, which by gravity depending on the ingredients, made both a custard, a cake and a mousse? The texture is quite similar but with 2 layers here: mousse and flan. If you don’t want this effect, you can of course incorporate the whites as they are with the yolks.
keto cheesecake: New York style recipe
- Springform mold
- Baking paper
- Small saucepan
- Small salad bowl
- Manual whisk
- Pastry robot
- Electric whisk
- Paring knife
- Citrus juicer
For the dough of the New-York Cheesecake without sugar:
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50 g butter 1/2 salt
- 15 g sugar without sugar Stevia type
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
For the cheesecake maker:
- 200 g Philadelphia type salted fresh cheese
- 80 g heavy whole cream
- 30 g sugar without sugar Stevia type
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 3 drops of vanilla
For the strawberry coulis:
- 150 g strawberries
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 pinch of sugar without sugar Stevia type
Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
Lightly butter the edges of a 20 cm springform pan (hinged is better). Line with baking paper, letting 1 cm go up to the edges.
Prepare the New York cheesecake batter:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter until it is a nutty color. Let it cool down.
- Combine the ground almonds, unsweetened sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Pour the melted butter over the almonds, mix.
- Line the bottom of the mold with this mixture, roll up the dough by 1/2 cm around the edges. Place in the freezer.
Prepare the New York cheesecake appliance:
- In a salad bowl, work together the cream cheese and heavy cream with a manual whisk. Add the sugar, vanilla and lemon zest, mix.
- Separate the yellows from the whites. Stir the egg yolks into the cheese mixture.
- Whip the egg whites using a pastry robot or an electric whisk and incorporate them in turn. (* See note below)
- Pour the mixture over the cold dough base. Bake halfway up and lower the oven to 180 ° C.
- Bake the cheesecake for 35 minutes: it is done when it is slightly split on the top.
- Let cool then cool the New York cheesecake for 8 hours before unmolding and serving.
For the strawberry coulis:
- Wash and hull the strawberries.
- Add a pinch of sugar without sugar and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Mix everything until you obtain a coulis.
- Keep cool until serving.
* To obtain the classic texture of the cheesecake, do not incorporate the whipped whites, but lightly beat the whites and yolks in an omelet before incorporating them into the cheese.
NOTE: this dessert can be reduced in fat if desired. Just use whole, well-drained Swiss cheese instead of the Philadelphia. Then add 3 pinches of salt to have the same flavor.
Organization: the cheesecake is always better when it has spent at least 8 hours in the fridge. Ideally, it should therefore be prepared the day before its tasting.
Nutrition: Calories: 321kcal; Carbohydrates: 3.3g; Protein: 6.5g; Fat: 31g.