A mum fears her twins may be “scarred for life” after they suffered chemical burns from a henna tattoo the received at a hotel in Egypt.
The 11-year-olds had the free artwork done at the Hawaii Resort Hotel in Hurghada, while on holiday with mum Vicki Hawkins her partner Kirk Hawking, and their two siblings.
Miss Hawkins, from Garlinge, Margate, said she allowed the children to get the non-permanent henna tattoos from the hotel’s beauty salon on the first day of their two-week stay.
She said that initially there were no problems until the last day when the salon offered to top them up for free.
However once the family landed back in the UK that real symptoms began to show, with huge bulging blisters forming on the skin of her two 11-year-old twins.
After a visit to A&E, a doctor has confirmed the cause of the skin reaction to have been caused by chemical burns.
The holiday package had been put together by booking website On the Beach and the company has now suspended bookings to the hotel.
On the Beach has confirmed it is investigating.
Speaking to KentLive, Miss Hawkins said: “The man who did them was very nice and said if we came back on the last day of the hotel he would top them up for free.
“My two 11-year-old twins got matching sleeve tattoos.
“There wasn’t any problems until we had them re sprayed before we left.”
Miss Hawkins said the twins started to complain their arms were itchy, and within hours of being back at home, huge blisters began to form.
“I didn’t think anything of it at first and tried to get them to go to sleep because they had school the next day,” she added.
“They didn’t sleep a wink that night and Brad kept coming into our room and crying.
“I knew something must be bad because there normally quite tough.
“By the morning they were blistering and I knew something was seriously wrong.”
“I’m living in hope it won’t scar them for life.”
Miss Hawkins, who works nights as a carer, immediately sought medical advice as the condition of her sons’ skin deteriorated.
The outline of the tattoo had left the skin pink, raw, and flaking.
She said: “The pain eventually go so bad that I had to take them to A&E who said it was an allergic reaction and chemical burn.
“They skinned their arms of the blisters which was hard to watch as a mother.
“Then they dressed their arms and moisturised them.
“We’ve been going to and from the hospital all week to have it reapplied and even then it’s likely to scar them.
“They’ll need to keep their arms moisturised for at least 18 months.
“I’m living in hope it won’t scar them for life and that their skin will grow into it.”
The mum-of-four believes it’s important to share their story to urge other parents to think twice.
She said: “If by sharing what happened to us we can stop someone else’s children being scarred then it will be worth it.”
A spokesman from On The Beach said: “On the Beach takes customer health and safety extremely seriously and we work with our hotel partners to ensure that the correct standards and procedures are in place to ensure this.
“We are currently investigating this report, and the property will be taken off sale while this takes place.”